Aubergine Parmigiana. Donal's aubergine parmigiana is so easy to make and tastes wonderful. It's simpler than a lasagne and lighter, too. The tomato sauce can be doubled and frozen for another easy dinner.
Aubergine parmigiana (aka melanzane alla parmigiana, or parmesan aubergine, for the sake of linguistic consistency) is that rare and glorious thing: Mediterranean stodge. Top with a layer of mozzarella, another layer of sauce, and a sprinkle of grated cheese. Repeat the layering, ending with eggplant, sauce, and grated cheese. You can have Aubergine Parmigiana using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Aubergine Parmigiana
- You need of aubergine, sliced thinly.
- Prepare of salt.
- Prepare of passata or chopped tomatoes.
- You need of an onion.
- Prepare of garlic cloves.
- Prepare of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped (reserve some for the top).
- You need of Flour.
- It’s of mozzarella.
- It’s of parmesan cheese.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and lemon-pepper. Eggplant parmigiana is a classic dish of southern Italy and is mostly associated with the cooking style of Naples. However, it can easily be found in Calabria and Sicily as well. Aubergine parmigiana is one of the most iconic Italian dishes.
Aubergine Parmigiana instructions
- Lay the aubergine out on kitchen roll and sprinkle liberally with salt, leave for the 30 mins. Turn over the aubergine and sprinkle the other side with salt. Leave for a further 30 mins..
- Heat some oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft but not browned..
- Add the passata and the basil and simmer for 10-15 mins, season to taste. Leave to cool..
- Preheat the oven to 170 C fan. Season the flour. Dust the aubergine lightly with the flour. Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the aubergine one each side for 2-3 mins, until lightly browned, you will need to do this in batches, then set aside..
- Add a little of the tomato sauce to the bottom on the dish, then start layering, add a layer of aubergine, then add a layer of tomato sauce and sprinkle with both cheese. Repeat 2 more times finishing with a layer of cheese..
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 25 mins, then remove the foil and continue to bake for 20 mins. Scatter over the reserved basil leaves. Serve warm with crusty bread and a salad..
It is made with fried aubergine slices, layered with tomato sauce, mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano. Eggplant Parmesan, or eggplant parmigiana, is one of those classic Italian-style comfort foods most people enjoy. Much like lasagana, this is a casserole dish made of different layers, but here the star is globe eggplant and there is no pasta involved. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.