Flour Tortillas. Buy Groceries at Amazon & Save. Looking for recipes from world-class chefs that will impress family, friends or guests? The Inspired Home is the choice for all your recipe needs.
Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. The flour tortilla is as ubiquitous in Northern Mexican cuisine as sourdough in San Francisco and as bagels in New York. Though it may seem surprising, homemade flour tortillas are extremely easy to make at home. You can cook Flour Tortillas using 5 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Flour Tortillas
- You need 4 cups of flour.
- You need 1/2 cup of lard.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of salt.
- It’s 1/4 tablespoon of baking powder.
- You need 1-1/2 cups of warm water (depends on humidity).
And they can be ready in under an hour! You'll need: flour, salt, baking powder, cold lard (or cold bacon. Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the shortening or oil and mix until mealy.
Flour Tortillas instructions
- Take flour, salt, lard, baking powder in a big bowl and combine to course crumbles.
- Work Till it holds its shape when squeezed..
- Slowly add warm water and knead till a smooth dough forms..
- Make golf size balls.
- Flaten each ball to a thin disk with a rolling pin. On a lightly floured surface..
- Cook on med high heat on a comal 1-2 min on each side till golden bubble like patches form..
- Remove from heat..
- Cool on a cotton cloth. store in a plastic bag..
Turn it out onto a surface and knead, adding more flour if. Flour tortillas keep really well (and they reheat really well). With a corn tortilla, you've got two or three days, max; but with flour, I can keep them in the fridge. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add the water and vegetable oil and using your hands, mix together the dough until it is a cohesive ball and all of the liquid has been absorbed.