Naan khatai. Nankhatai recipe – Delicious, light & crisp eggless cookies made with flour, ghee, cardamom powder and sugar. Nankhatai are traditional Indian shortbread cookies made with all-purpose flour, semolina, sugar and ghee. There are so many variations of nankhatais and can be made with different combinations of flour.
Naan Khatai is India's very own desi biscuit which is made in an open oven (you can make it in your OTG or cooker or convection oven also). It is soft and melt-in-the mouth biscuit and has a unique taste with an unmistakable aroma of desi ghee, which distinguishes it from other cookies. Nan khatai is an authentic Indian sweet and savory eggless cookie that can be easily prepared at home. You can have Naan khatai using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Naan khatai
- It’s 1 cup of wheat flour.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of besan/gram flour.
- It’s 3 tbsp of sooji.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- You need 1/4 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of milk powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Cardamom powder.
- It’s 3/4 cup of ghee (melted at room temperature).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Grated almonds for garnish.
In its authentic recipe, ghee, maida, rava (sooji), gram flour (besan) and sugar are used but nowadays it is generally prepared without using gram flour and rava. The word Nankhatai is derived from Persian word Naan meaning bread and "Khatai" from a Dari Persian word meaning Biscuit. In Afghanistan and Northeast Iran, these biscuits are called Kulcha-e-Khataye. Kulcha is a type of Indian bread similar to Naan.
Naan khatai step by step
- Take a mixing bowl add all dry ingredients and mix it well..
- Now gradually add ghee in it and make dough. Don't overmix the dough by kneading it. It just to be combined all together..
- Take some dough shape it like peda and stick some grated almonds on it. (Spread almonds on plate and put peda from one side on it & take it out).
- Repeat the process for all the naankhatai..
- Preheat oven for 10 min. Take a greased tray put all naankhatai on tray at some distance and bake it for 18- 20 min at 160 degree. Check it if not done put again for 2 min.
- After baked completely take them out on cooling rack. Let them cool to room temperature than enjoy delicious naankhatai..
Combine flour, sooji, salt, powdered sugar, and vanilla essence in a large mixing bowl. Add ghee and mix until well blended. Knead until it forms a soft pliable dough. Naan Khatai is an Indian Shortbread often made with flour and a combination of semolina or gram flour or rice flour and spiced with cardamom. Much like shortbread Naan Khatai also relies on butter or Ghee as the binding agent.